Alright, Emmy’s birth. It has been almost three weeks now since we had Emmy.  I had no idea what to expect this time around.  With Kenna, my water just broke.  I had no contractions before hand, no braxton hicks. Nothing.  My water just broke and we headed to the hospital and I was in instant labor.  22 hours later. Kenna was born.  I pushed 5 hours on and off with Kenna because her cord was wrapped around her neck and her heart rate kept dropping.  Wufta.  This time things went a lot better and faster:)  YAY.

I started having contractions on Wednesday night.  I thought they were contractions, but they didn’t hurt a lot so I wasn’t sure. The next day on Thursday morning while I was getting ready for work I told Travis that I thought I was having contractions.  Well I went to school and continued to have contractions throughout the day.  I timed them and they would be anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes apart.  At the beginning of the day, the contractions were not too painful.  As the day went on, they got more uncomfortable.  Overall, I just didn’t feel well. I was tired and didn’t want to teach third graders while I walked around having contractions.  It was a long day and I was super emotional.  After school, I went and picked up Kenna and we headed to the grocery store to pick up a couple items.  I bought a pineapple to help get labor going if I truly was in labor.  LOL. I figured it was worth a shot.  I didn’t want to teach all day Friday with contractions.  We went home and Travis and I ate the whole pineapple.  I read online that a bath would either help get contractions going or stop false contractions so I decided to hop in the bath tub for awhile.  While I was in the bath tub my contractions completely stopped.  Then as soon as I got out of the bath tub they started again.  Labor is a funny thing.  I still didn’t believe I was in labor.  We put Kenna to bed and I tried to relax for a little while.  Starting at 8 o’clock. My contractions picked up and started to become more painful.  They were mostly in my hips and back.  The contractions were any where from 2 minutes to 5 minutes apart.  By 9 o’clock they hurt pretty bad so Travis had me call the nurse to see if we should come in.  I had group b strep so we had to get there four hours before I delivered to get antibiotics.   The nurse said head to the hospital.

So we woke up Kenna and packed all of our stuff in the car and headed to the hospital.  We weren’t sure if we would be checked in or not, but we had my dad come and meet us at the hospital to pick up Kenna.  We got to the hospital at about 10 o’clock.  The nurse hooked me up to the machines and the doctor came in to check me.  I was at a 3 to 4 and was making good progress. YAY we were staying and having a baby.  I kissed Kenna goodbye and she left to go to papa and nana’s house.  My contractions continued to get worse and things got pretty painful pretty quick.  I tried different positions and Trav was a great couch. I was in so much pain I thought I could rip out my hair.  It was midnight and I was already exhausted.  After teaching all day and having contractions I was wore out. The nurse came in and I asked to get checked to see if I made any progress. I was at a 5.  So I was making progress, but decided to get an epidural. I honestly don’t know how people have natural births. I thought my body was going to burst apart.  Once I got my epidural I felt a lot better and finally got excited to have a baby.  Before the epidural I was just worried about labor and the pain and trying to make it through.  We tried to sleep from there and the nurse came back at 3:00 a.m. to check me.  REMIND ME the next time to not have a child in the weee hours of the morning.  At 3:00 I was at a 10:), but they wanted to wait another half hour to let the antibiotics finish up.  So we patiently wait to have our baby, so excited to find out if it was a boy or girl.  At 3:30 the nurse started to set everything up for pushing and for the baby’s arrival.  Another woman in the hospital was having a baby so the OB doctor was going to come to our room right when she was done.  Time slowly passed and it was 4:00 and then 4:30 and then 5:00.  The other woman was having complications and the doctor couldn’t make it back into our room until a little after 5.  We got everything ready to start pushing and then waited for a contraction and nothing, we sat there and watched the machine and still nothing. My doctor mentioned something about pitocin and I said that I might feel one coming. So the doctor said lets just try to push.  So I started pushing and the doctor said stop and Travis told me that the baby’s head was already half out.  The doctor told me to wait for another contraction, but then just told me to push and one more push and our baby entered the world. Travis got to announce we had a girl. Kenna now has an instant best friend for life. There is nothing like a sisterly bond and I couldn’t be more happy!!!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s